Coronavirus Update: 3/16/2020
Health Tips and A Market Assessment
* Correction: an earlier version of this article contained a section entitled, ‘Advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases.’ This section was later found to be false, and we removed it from the article.
I have spent much of the week trying to absorb and assess the impact of the Coronavirus. Here are some resources that I think are helpful, some health tips, and a market assessment.
Let’s start with Health.
The Journal of American Medicine recently conducted an interesting YouTube interview with a frontline physician in Italy.
1. This is not just another flu because:
- It is more contagious.
- It is more severe in those that do experience distress.
- Recovered patients from acute respiratory viruses and syndromes like Covid-19 may have long-term reduced respiratory function and be more likely to have secondary events.
- It is very severe for older patients and those with pre-existing conditions (JAMA data).
2. Systemic Issues
- Healthcare systems in outbreak areas are struggling given the exponential growth in critically ill.
3. Personal Health
- Wash hands frequently. The virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but – a lot can happen during that time – you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
- If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours – so if you come into contact with any metal surface – wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
- Social distancing is particularly important for the elderly and those with symptoms.
- Diet – You are better off getting your nutrients from foods than supplements, but depending on your diet, consider supplements and remember the following:
From the National Institute of Health.
Vitamin A – Promotes the immune system, vision, heart and lungs, and kidneys.
Vitamin C – IV vitamin C is being studied as an Adjunctive Therapy for acute respiratory distress syndrome and regular dosing of Vitamin C has been used in many studies related to prevention of colds and flus.
Vitamin D – Your immune system needs Vitamin D to fight off bacteria and viruses.
Securities offered through FinTrust Brokerage Services, LLC (Member FINRA/ SIPC) and Investment Advisory Services offered through FinTrust Capital Advisors, LLC. Insurance services offered through FinTrust Capital Benefit Group, LLC. This material does not constitute an offer to sell, solicitation of an offer to buy, recommendation to buy or representation as the suitability or appropriateness of any security, financial product or instrument.
This report is prepared for general circulation. This report is not produced based on any individual persons or entities investment objectives or financial situation and opinions expressed by the analyst are subject to change without notice. This report is not provided to any particular individual with a view toward their individual circumstances. Investors should consider this report as only a single factor in making an investment decision. Securities prices fluctuate and investors may receive back less than originally invested and are not guaranteed. Investing involves risk including loss of principal.
Data contained herein from third party providers is obtained from what are considered reliable sources. However, its accuracy, completeness or reliability cannot be guaranteed.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results and the opinions presented cannot be viewed as an indicator of future performance.
*FinTrust Capital Advisors, LLC and its affiliates do not provide tax, legal or accounting advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before engaging in any transaction.